Looking for something in particular?

Monday, February 28, 2011

Recipe for Success

+ Fish Dish:

So spuds, here I am: 122 miles from home, one dishwasher richer and currently a full-time contractor for my very first government agency. All that in under a week - it is no wonder I haven't been posting. In all the hubub of moving away from home (only for 4 months) I haven't had time to even think of putting a recipe up. Shame on me! You all even gave me some great feedback to go on. I love feedback. But don't be sad, although my camera is still on the fritz my shiny iPod touch is here to save the day. Granted, the pictures won't be as crisp, but that fact pales in the face of all the new and wonderful recipes I have, and will, come across.

Recipes, and nasty Reese's Peanut Butter Cups aside, (no really, I ate one today and it was just plain rotten tasting), I am very excited to get to share all my new adventures with you. SPUDS is coming up on its one year anniversary, and what better way to celebrate than with wild and crazy changes!? Until I settle into my new arrangements, I imagining my cooking will be limited. In the mean time am hoping to not just feature new recipes but new chefs and bakers. Being near the capital, I am hoping to make the most of the cornucopia of great eateries and bars as well. There is so much to be been seen and tasted I had better not waste any time!

Take the "Smoked Paprika Tilapia" recipe, I found it sitting innocently on the counter just now, as an example. When I got home today dinner was minutes away from going on the table and filling our grumbling bellies. The chef, let's call her Taquita, is a soon to be nursing student and can she ever bake up a storm. I guess she can cook up a storm too since she's whipped up two scrumptious dinners in just 24 hours. The fillets were so flaky and moist! Flaky and moist, and yet crispy and smoky too. We ate our fish with rice and a little green vegetable, but I am imaging it would even taste delicious cold over some rice in a lunch/bento box tomorrow too... My new housemate(s) are excellent cooks, and I am very much looking forward to picking up some tricks and tips while I'm staying here. But I'm too tired to give you the whole scoop tonight. I guess we'll both just have to keep checking out the blog to find out!

Notes: Although we used Tilapia, I am sure any other firm white fish (or even salmon) would be just as scrumptious. When buying fish make sure the fish smells fresh (e.g. not fishy). The fisher the smell the older the catch. If you're buying a fish with the head and eye balls - yuck - be sure the eyes are clear and not cloudy. Again, this indicates freshness. If you get your fish frozen just be sure to follow the package directions for thawing and cooking.

Smoked paprika is a nice spice to invest in, and one that isn't always as outrageously priced as some of the others. Just make sure you have smoked Spanish paprika - it will be a little more mild than its spicy cousin. It would also be great on some mashed or broiled spuds, or even on some scrambled eggs tortilla style.

If you want to be featured on a SPUDS post, I would be ever so excited to write about you! Just drop an email with your post idea/recipe and a little blurb about yourself to stbreadwater@gmail.com

Smoked Paprika Tilapia
Cooking Light (2008)

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 (6 ounce) tilapia fillets

Preparation:
1. Heat a large non-stick skillet (or grill pan) over medium-high heat.
2. In a dish combine the olive oil, paprika, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a bowl, stirring well.
3. Rub fish evenly with oil mixture.
4. Coat the pan with cooking spray. Then, add the fish to the pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

For our European friends (this is a work in progress, mind. I would love to know how to do this without looking dodgie!):

Smoked Paprika Tilapia

22.5 ml olive oil
3 g garlic powder
5 g salt*
6 g smoked paprika
ground black pepper
(4) 168g tilapia fillets

*I think

Preparation:
1. Heat a large non-stick skillet (or grill pan) over medium-high heat.
2. In a dish combine the olive oil, paprika, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a bowl, stirring well.
3. Rub fish evenly with oil mixture.
4. Coat the pan with cooking spray. Then, add the fish to the pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment