Looking for something in particular?

Monday, March 14, 2011

Strawberry Swiss Buttercream


It is that nasty pre-bikini time of year again, when the blog circuit shorts out thanks to an overload of "good for you", "fat burning" dishes. Recipes for mac 'n cheese, lasagna and banana bread all but disappear as the comfort food revolution comes to a quick volatile end.

But, not at SPUDS. As an individual, I understand the importance of bikini-body cooking. Two weeks in the workforce have left me feeling like an exhausted, gelatinous blob by the end of an 8(eight) hour work day. Sometimes, it makes me appreciate the nights my parents had short cranky tempers and dinner was just a box of boxed mac and warmed up green beans when I was younger. But mostly, it makes me wish I still lived within walking distance of my workplace, and that I wasn't begging to be in bed by 10:30 every night. But this weekend's warm weather has energized me. With warm weather comes the allure of Jordan almonds, clouds of dreamy cream and meringue, tangy curds and breathless butter creams that are all but impossible to resist. For all the resolution fuss, spring isn't the ideal time to deny oneself the luxuries of the season. Luckily, SPUDS has an excellent reason (as if we needed another one) not to support the healthy body building movement - at least not yet.

Friday March 12th marked SPUDS 1 year anniversary! You will forgive me for not posting that day, but I was enjoying a dinner of left-overs, pajamas and NEW SuperMario Brothers and couldn't be bothered with celebrating successes outside of wall-kicks and spitting fireballs. You have to understand that SPUDS has, and continues to be, a bit of a surprise for me. Firstly, I can't believe I've been posting recipes for a year - I'm usually far too critical to stick to something as easily criticized as a blog. I suppose it is for that same reason I can't help but feel a little saddened my success, however, sweet, remains crepe like in depth. Don't we all want a follower list as bottomless as the most sinful chocolate chocolate torte - the kind you buy because you don't really want to know what is inside. That said, I'm awfully glad you're here. I have this feeling, we're going to be fast friends.

The first SPUDS post was the unassuming, all-occasion "Hot Milk Cake". I am glad to say that, despite the passage of time, the cake remains an excellent no-brainer that is easy on the mouth as well as the wallet. But, a year later I am happy to imagine that SPUDS has grown. Take this Swiss Butter cream recipe for example - neither easy nor extraordinarily cheap. It comes from an amazing blog called C&C Cakery. If the recipe wasn't enough in and of itself, the fact that they do some amazing fantasy baking (they have a "Nerd" label) would be more than enough reason to flag the page as a favorite. This was one of many forays I've made in the past five years into the wide world of butter cream, but by far the most successful. The fact that it doesn't include confectioners sugar it what makes it a "Swiss" butter cream - don't ask me why. It will taste intensely of butter and a little less sweet than most shop butter creams that come piped on by the quarter pound. I love this butter cream not just for its unassuming, but beautiful, color, richness and over all amazing texture (and did I mention richness) but especially for the bright, springy flavor and flecks of strawberry. Cheeky. Burrito and I had a great time piping, smearing and eating it right out of the bag - or at least I did, just a little bit. I was coerced.




Notes: This is the second time I've made this recipe, and it is still as good as it was that first sinful bite. Matcha is a green tea powder, and widely available in Asian markets and specialty stores; however, it isn't cheap. For that reason I've elected to only post the Swiss Butter Cream (which is insanely delicious). For now, at least. The hard part about this butter cream, if it can be called hard, is going to involve your hand mixer. Just bite your lip and admit to yourself that you are going to get mixeritus. Don't worry - it is worth it. Or, you can just rope in a friend. The extra set of hands is really helpful. If you use frozen strawberries, thaw and drain them thoroughly before you begin making the butter cream. You don't want a lot of excess water mucking things up. Also, I just mash my berries with a fork since they get pulverized with the blender and things turn out swimmingly.


"Kaylee's Cupcake" Strawberry Swiss Butter Cream
C&C Cakes - SPUDS didn't change a thing about this recipe. It's that delicious.

1/2 cup sugar
2 egg whites
3/4 cup softened butter, cut into cubes
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (clear preferably)
3/4 cup pureed strawberries

Preparation:
1. Place the egg whites and sugar in a double boiler - I use a microwavable glass dish - with the water simmering (but not boiling). Whisk the whites until the sugar grain have dissolved. They will be frothy and gorgeous.
2. Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl - I carefully wipe the bottom of the bowl off to ensure no water infiltrates the new bowl with the egg whites. With an electric mixer, beat the eggs until they form stiff, glossy peaks on high. This will take a while. To test the egg white turn off the mixer and lift it out of the bowl - if the eggs don't drip off and form a soft serve like curl they are ready.
3. Reduce the speed of your mixer and add the butter cubes one at a time, mixing well. (This is where a friend comes in hand). Mix until the mixture has begun to curdle (just how it looks) and then keep mixing until it is smooth. This will take a while, but don't give up!
4. Once smooth, slowly add the vanilla and pureed strawberries. Use immediately.

*If you have to, refrigerate your butter cream after you decorate with it. It will change the texture slightly, so only use as a last resort. When I have to do this I let the butter cream come to room temperature again before consuming.


For our European Friends... (attempt II)

"Kaylee's Cupcake" Strawberry Swiss Butter Cream

180 g butter
splash vanilla
2 egg whites
100 g sugar
110 g pureed strawberries

Preparation:
1. Place the egg whites and sugar in a double boiler - I use a microwavable glass dish - with the water simmering (but not boiling). Whisk the whites until the sugar grain have dissolved. They will be frothy and gorgeous.
2. Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl - I carefully wipe the bottom of the bowl off to ensure no water infiltrates the new bowl with the egg whites. With an electric mixer, beat the eggs until they form stiff, glossy peaks on high. This will take a while. To test the egg white turn off the mixer and lift it out of the bowl - if the eggs don't drip off and form a soft serve like curl they are ready.
3. Reduce the speed of your mixer and add the butter cubes one at a time, mixing well. (This is where a friend comes in hand). Mix until the mixture has begun to curdle and then keep mixing until it is smooth. This will take a while, but don't give up!
4. After smooth, slowly add the vanilla and pureed strawberries. Use immediately.

1 comment: